Kazakhstan belongs to a number of international organizations. Kazakhstan is a member of the United Nations, Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO), Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS), The Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO), Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) and NATO’s North Atlantic Cooperation Council. Kazakhstan held the chairmanship of the OSCE in 2010 and hosted an OSCE summit in Astana in December 2010.
__Kazakhstan frequently hosts major multilateral platforms including: __
- Astana Process Syria Peace Talks
- P5+1 Iran Nuclear talks
- The Third Ministerial Conference of the Istanbul Process on Afghanistan in 2013
- The International Ministerial Conference of Landlocked and Transit Developing Countries and Donor Countries and International Financial and Development Institution on Transit Transportation Cooperation
- The 67rd Session of United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP)
- World Health Organization Conference dedicated to 30th Anniversary of signing Almaty Primary Health Care Declaration
- The Second Ministerial Conference on Refugee Protection and International Migration: Almaty Process
- Jubilee Session of the governing Council and Economic Forum of the Special Program for the Economies of Central Asia (SPECA)
Kazakhstan is an active participant in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization’s (NATO) Partnership for Peace program. Kazakhstan also engages in regional security dialogue with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN). Kazakhstan in June 2011 became the chairman of the Foreign Ministers’ Council of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, and in 2012 hosted a ministerial meeting for the Conference on Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia. Kazakhstan is also a member of the Collective Security Treaty Organization and the Shanghai Cooperation Organization.
Organization for Security and Co‑operation in Europe (OSCE)
Kazakhstan’s work with the OSCE has been broad and consistent to strengthen inter-religious and interethnic dialogue at all levels. In its role as the 2010 OSCE Chairman-in-Office (CiO), the Republic of Kazakhstan followed the “Ministerial Troi... Read more
Conference on Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia (CICA)
CICA is an intergovernmental forum for dialogue, consultations and adoption of decisions and measures on the basis of consensus on security issues in Asia, the observer at the UN General Assembly (December 2007). The initiative to convene CICA ... Read more
Cooperation of the Republic of Kazakhstan with NATO is based on the Frame document of the Partnership for Peace (PFP) signed in 1994. It includes positions directed for achievement of the following purposes: development of transparency in proce... Read more